Sample Papua New Guinea Itinerary
Please wait while we load the requested content
There was an error retrieving the requested page.
Please refresh the page and try again.
Are you itching to fall off the edge of the map into another world? Maybe you’re ready to immerse yourself in a place barely touched by the passage of time? No matter why you go, Papua New Guinea promises the intrepid traveler the trip of a lifetime, and we’ll make sure your adventures are perfectly suited for you, your pace, budget, style, and interests.
Wild, Wonderful Papua New Guinea | 14 Days
||Arrive in the capital, Port Moresby, and then fly into the mountainous interior to your well-appointed eco-lodge set in the verdant forest near Mt. Hagen.
||Explore the untamed Wahgi Valley with its traditional villages and attend a boisterous highland sing-sing, a vibrant indigenous gathering with roots tracing back many centuries.
Fly to the remote Ambua Airstrip to access the magnificent Tari Highlands. Relax in your award-winning resort inspired by the thatch huts of the local villagers.
Continue exploring the highlands with a visit to the colorful villages of the Huli Wigmen, known for their vibrant face paint and elaborate headdresses.
Explore the winding nature trails surrounding off-the-beaten-path Ambua Lodge. Discover a tropical paradise brimming with birdsong and the echoes of thundering waterfalls.
Fly to Timbunke in the central Sepik Region and board The Sepik Spirit to cruise through the area’s meandering rivers. You will float by untouched local villages known for their spectacular, traditional arts and crafts. Perhaps stop to collect some truly one-of-a-kind souvenirs.
Continue your luxurious river cruise through heart of Papua New Guinea, stopping to explore villages and meet the friendly tribal people along the way.
End your river cruise at the Karawari Eco Lodge, one most remote and pristine places in Papua New Guinea. Visit the local school, supported by Asia Transpacific Journeys, for an unforgettable time interacting with the local children and learning about their village.
Return to Mt. Hagen and connect onward to gorgeous, coastal Madang. Choose between a luxurious colonial-era plantation near the coast or a contemporary resort in town for your accommodations.
Spend the day snorkeling the crystal waters of Madang’s natural harbor, charter a catamaran to explore or take a sea kayak tour of the coastal villages.
Return to Port Moresby this morning and pay a visit to the fascinating National Museum. Then spend the afternoon touring the renowned PNG Arts collective, the place to pick up last-minute mementos of your journey.
Head to a comfortable resort near the airport to prepare for your departure home.
Plan Your Journey
Every trip begins by us wanting to know you better. For starters we'll want to know who you're traveling with, your travel dates, any special interests you may have and what types of hotels you prefer. You may not know the answer to all the questions—don't worry, that's where we come in.
Use the following questions to help you think about your ideal journey - better yet copy and paste them into an email and send them off our our knowledgable Travel Specialists who can then provide some suggestions.
- Will you be traveling with family or friends? How many people are in your group?
- Do you have specific dates in mind?
- About how many days do you expect the trip to last?
- Which destinations are you interested in?
- Do you have specific interests that you would like to concentrate on such as art, architecture, archaeology, wildlife, spas, cuisine, textiles, religion, sports, schools or nature?
- Do you like to have activities planned sun up to sun down, or do you prefer some downtime?
- Do you have an interest in active travel (hiking, biking, kayaking, etc.)?
- If you are of active disposition, do you consider 2 hours of hiking enough or do you like to go all day?
- On trips past, what were some of the activities or specific things that you most enjoyed?
- What type of accommodations do you generally prefer? Only five-star? Small, boutique properties? Nice, but not over the top?
- Do you have an approximate budget in mind for the trip?
- Are you celebrating a special occasion on this journey?
- Do you plan to use frequent flyer miles or reward points for international travel?
- Do you plan to book your own air or use our company's in-house air department?